top of page

Market Research Group

Public·100 members
Sultan Nikolaev
Sultan Nikolaev

Toefl Ibt Writing Made Easy: Sample Questions and Strategies for Success

Sample Toefl Ibt Essay Questions: How to Ace the Writing Section

If you are preparing for the Toefl Ibt test, you may be wondering how to improve your writing skills and score high on the writing section. The writing section is one of the most challenging parts of the test, as it requires you to express your ideas clearly and coherently in English. In this article, we will provide you with some sample essay questions that you can use to practice your writing skills and get familiar with the format and expectations of the test. We will also give you some tips and resources on how to use these sample questions effectively and how to improve your overall writing performance.

Sample Toefl Ibt Essay Questions

Introduction

What is the Toefl Ibt Writing Section?

The Toefl Ibt writing section is the last part of the test, and it consists of two tasks: an integrated task and an independent task. The integrated task requires you to read a short passage, listen to a lecture on the same topic, and then write an essay that summarizes and compares the main points from both sources. The independent task requires you to write an essay based on your own opinion on a given topic. You have 20 minutes to complete the integrated task and 30 minutes to complete the independent task. The total score for the writing section is based on your performance on both tasks.

Why is it important to practice with sample essay questions?

Practicing with sample essay questions is one of the best ways to prepare for the Toefl Ibt writing section. By doing so, you can:

• Get familiar with the types of topics and questions that you may encounter on the test.

• Improve your reading and listening comprehension skills, as well as your note-taking and summarizing skills.

• Develop your ability to organize your ideas, support them with relevant examples and details, and use appropriate transitions and connectors.

• Enhance your vocabulary, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style.

• Gain confidence and reduce anxiety before taking the actual test.

How to use sample essay questions effectively

To make the most out of your practice with sample essay questions, you should follow these steps:

• Read and listen to the sources carefully and take notes of the main points and supporting details.

• Analyze the question prompt and identify what it is asking you to do.

• Plan your essay by creating an outline that includes an introduction, a body, and a conclusion.

• Write your essay according to your outline, using clear and coherent sentences and paragraphs.

• Review your essay and check for any errors or areas that need improvement.

• Compare your essay with a sample answer or a scoring rubric and evaluate your strengths and weaknesses.

Body

Sample essay question 1: Integrated task

Reading passage summary

The reading passage discusses three types of leadership styles: autocratic, democratic, and laissez-faire. Autocratic leaders make decisions without consulting their followers, democratic leaders involve their followers in decision-making, and laissez-faire leaders delegate authority and responsibility to their followers. The passage also explains the advantages and disadvantages of each style, depending on the situation and the characteristics of the followers.

Listening lecture summary

The listening lecture is a psychology professor who gives an example of a research study that examined the effects of different leadership styles on the performance and satisfaction of employees in a company. The study found that democratic leaders had the most positive impact on both performance and satisfaction, followed by autocratic leaders, and then laissez-faire leaders. The professor also explains why democratic leaders are more effective than the other two types, as they motivate their employees to work harder, communicate better, and cooperate more.

Essay response

The reading passage and the listening lecture both deal with the topic of leadership styles and their impact on followers. However, they present different perspectives and findings on this issue. The reading passage describes three types of leadership styles: autocratic, democratic, and laissez-faire, and their advantages and disadvantages. The listening lecture reports on a research study that compared the effects of these three styles on the performance and satisfaction of employees in a company. The lecture contradicts or challenges some of the points made in the reading passage.

First, the reading passage suggests that autocratic leaders can be effective in situations where quick and decisive actions are needed, or where the followers are inexperienced or unskilled. However, the listening lecture argues that autocratic leaders can have a negative impact on the performance and satisfaction of employees, as they may feel oppressed, resentful, or unmotivated by the lack of input or feedback from their leaders. The lecture cites a research study that showed that employees who worked under autocratic leaders had lower levels of performance and satisfaction than those who worked under democratic or laissez-faire leaders.

Second, the reading passage implies that democratic leaders can be ineffective in situations where there is not enough time for consultation or where the followers are too diverse or conflicted. However, the listening lecture claims that democratic leaders can have a positive impact on both performance and satisfaction of employees, regardless of the situation or the characteristics of the followers. The lecture cites the same research study that showed that employees who worked under democratic leaders had higher levels of performance and satisfaction than those who worked under autocratic or laissez-faire leaders. The lecture explains that democratic leaders are more effective than the other two types because they motivate their employees to work harder, communicate better, and cooperate more.

Third, the reading passage indicates that laissez-faire leaders can be beneficial in situations where the followers are highly competent, creative, or independent. However, the listening lecture contends that laissez-faire leaders can have a negative impact on both performance and satisfaction of employees, as they may feel neglected, confused, or unsupported by their leaders. The lecture cites the same research study that showed that employees who worked under laissez-faire leaders had lower levels of performance and satisfaction than those who worked under autocratic or democratic leaders.

In conclusion, the reading passage and the listening lecture provide different views and evidence on the topic of leadership styles and their impact on followers. The lecture challenges some of the claims made in the reading passage by presenting a research study that supports a different conclusion.

Sample essay question 2: Independent task

Question prompt

Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Essay response

People have different preferences when it comes to choosing where to live. Some people prefer to live in a small town, while others prefer to live in a big city. Personally, I would prefer to live in a big city for several reasons.

First of all, living in a big city offers more opportunities for education, career, and personal development. In a big city, there are more schools, colleges, universities, and training centers that provide various courses and programs for different fields and interests. There are also more companies, organizations, institutions, and industries that offer more jobs and career paths for different levels and skills. Moreover, living in a big city exposes me to more cultures, languages, ideas, and experiences that can enrich my knowledge and broaden my horizons.

Secondly, living in a big city provides more convenience and comfort for daily life. In a big city, there are more public transportation systems, such as buses, trains, subways, taxis, and bikes that can take me anywhere I want to go quickly and easily. There are also more shops, markets, malls, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, theaters, museums, and parks that can satisfy my needs and wants for goods and services. Furthermore, such as hospitals, clinics, libraries, gyms, and sports centers that can improve my health and well-being. Finally, living in a big city allows me to meet more people and make more friends. In a big city, there are more people from different backgrounds, cultures, religions, and lifestyles that I can interact with and learn from. There are also more clubs, groups, organizations, and events that I can join and participate in according to my hobbies and passions. Moreover, living in a big city helps me to develop my social skills and network that can benefit me in the future. In conclusion, I would prefer to live in a big city because it offers more opportunities, convenience, and diversity than living in a small town. I think living in a big city would make my life more enjoyable and fulfilling. Conclusion

Summary of main points

In this article, we have discussed how to prepare for the Toefl Ibt writing section by practicing with sample essay questions. We have also provided you with two sample essay questions: one for the integrated task and one for the independent task. We have shown you how to write an effective essay response for each task by following some steps and tips.

Tips and resources for further practice

To improve your writing skills and score high on the Toefl Ibt writing section, you should practice regularly with sample essay questions. You should also:

• Read and listen to authentic sources on various topics and take notes of the main points and details.

• Expand your vocabulary and grammar by learning new words and structures and using them in your writing.

• Review your writing and check for any errors or areas that need improvement.

• Get feedback from a teacher, a tutor, or a native speaker on your writing and learn from your mistakes.

• Use online tools and resources such as dictionaries, thesauruses, grammar checkers, and scoring rubrics to help you with your writing.

Some of the online resources that you can use to practice your writing skills are:

• Ets Toefl: The official website of the test maker that provides sample questions, tips, and scoring guides for the writing section.

• Magoosh Toefl: A popular online course that offers video lessons, practice questions, feedback, and tips for the writing section.

• Toefl Resources: A website that provides free sample essays, templates, guides, and videos for the writing section.

• Toefl Bank: A website that provides artificial intelligence-based scoring and feedback for your writing practice.

• Write & Improve: A website that provides instant feedback and improvement suggestions for your writing practice.

We hope that this article has helped you to understand how to ace the Toefl Ibt writing section by practicing with sample essay questions. We wish you all the best in your test preparation and performance.

Frequently Asked Questions

• How many words should I write for each task?

There is no fixed word limit for each task. However, you should aim to write at least 150 words for the integrated task and at least 300 words for the independent task. Writing too little may affect your score negatively. Writing too much may also be risky if you make more errors or lose focus.

• How can I manage my time effectively for each task?

You should allocate your time wisely for each task. For the integrated task, you should spend about 3 minutes reading the passage, 5 minutes listening to the lecture, 2 minutes planning your essay, 8 minutes writing your essay, and 2 minutes reviewing your essay. For the independent task, you should spend about 5 minutes planning your essay, 20 minutes writing your essay, and 5 minutes reviewing your essay.

• How can I improve my vocabulary and grammar for the writing section?

You can improve your vocabulary and grammar by reading and listening to authentic sources on various topics and learning new words and structures from them. You should also use them in your writing practice and get feedback on them. You can also use online tools such as dictionaries, thesauruses, grammar checkers, etc. to help you with your vocabulary and grammar.

• How can I avoid plagiarism in the integrated task?

You can avoid plagiarism in the integrated task by using your own words and paraphrasing the sources. You should also cite the sources by using phrases such as "According to the passage...", "The lecture states that...", "The passage and the lecture both mention that...", etc. You should not copy any sentences or phrases from the sources directly.

• How can I generate ideas and examples for the independent task?

You can generate ideas and examples for the independent task by brainstorming and using your own knowledge, experience, and opinions. You can also use facts, statistics, quotes, anecdotes, etc. from reliable sources to support your ideas and examples. You should make sure that your ideas and examples are relevant, specific, and clear.

71b2f0854b

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

• Master Distributors Inc.
    Master Distributors Inc.
  • Philly SEO Pro
    Philly SEO Pro
  • Megan Moura
    Megan Moura
  • Kerry Vekhov
    Kerry Vekhov
bottom of page